Before you attempt your first DIY project at home, do take a look at these important safety tips:
- Safety gear like goggles and other protective equipment are very important in DIY. Do not compromise on the quality of these, buy good ones and they will last you a long time.
- Be careful around electrical sockets and long wires that are required for most power equipment.
- Keep a first aid kit handy, to take care of any minor accidents without needing to run around looking for items.
- The ladder can be a major cause of accidents during DIY, so make sure
you use a stable one and that it is placed properly before you start off on
your DIY activity.
- Do not wear loose clothing that might get in the way. Cotton clothes that are snug fitting are ideal. Overalls or other protective clothing may also be appropriate for metalworking and other such DIY activities.
- Painting may require some additional precautions such as a breathing filter, and also keeping the room well aerated to minimize strong smells.
- Pay attention to the working of the equipment, and ensure that you have taken all precautions and steps as mentioned in the manual.
- Put off all power tools when not in use. Never place it down while put on, and walk away or get distracted.
- Make sure the tools are cleaned and put away out of reach of children and pets. Not taking care of them will greatly lessen their life span.
- Before completing your activity, make sure any debris and small items like nails and pins have been carefully removed or swept away. This is especially important if you have young children in the house.
Are there any more important tips that you can think of? Do leave a comment and tell us about it! Check out our Black & Decker power tools that can help facilitate your safe DIYing: